Friday, December 4, 2009

pity, party of one...

okay so the job search has been going on for about two months now, to no avail, and in addition to driving myself crazy, i am sure my constant presence at home is driving my roommates crazy too. i hate this blasted economy. i wish i had graduated 10 years earlier, when having a bachelor's degree actually meant something. i have been applying to anywhere between 20-30 places, both in hawaii and in portland, everyday, and the only responses i have managed to solicit are ones that seem VERY sketchy. for example, one company wanted me to use their company's service to check my credit report in order to make sure that i was a 'reliable and trustworthy person'.

plus, it's getting harder and harder to get excited about jobs that i see postings for.  i am tired of being disappointed, and turned down by canned responses that go something to the effect of 'after reviewing your resume, you seem very qualified, but not quite right for this job', and if it's a job that i was really stoked on, then i get twice as mad.  

during the two years i worked at nsmh i hired pretty much anyone that came to me asking if we were hiring, so long as i knew and trusted them.  even when i was at ola,  i lobbied for my friends to get hired and always put in a good word.  where is all that job karma now?  not that i always expect things in return for doing a good deed, but i have always tried to help people whenever i could, so i feel like the universe could at least throw me a bone and guide me as to whether i should keep looking for a job here, or just take a huge leap of faith and go to portland...

not that i'm not enjoying my little hiatus from work, and i'm sure i'll bitch and moan about wanting a break once i'm employed agian...but it's kind of boring to be home with nothing to do but apply for an endless stream of jobs that i may or may not actually want to do. though the animals do keep me occupied, and so does tidying up after my roommates, but i miss working.  i like going out and earning money.  it makes me feel like i have purpose in my life, and that i'm not just floating.  plus, since i no longer need to wake up early in the morning, i don't, which is really throwing off my sleeping pattern, since i just stay up really late every night, knowing that i don't have to be anywhere in the morning.  although my messed up sleeping schedule did remind me of a great quote from one of my favorite shows:

carrie:  you're late
big:  no i'm not.  i'm on london time.
carrie:  london is five hours ahead.
big:  well then i guess i'm really fucking late.

i guess for now i'll just focus on making a copious amount of cookies to send out for the holidays.  that is if my beloved dog will stop eating the butter i set out on the counter to soften...

2 comments:

  1. You will find a job don't worry the job karma will find you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree. it's high time karma hooked you up. BUT, i'm sure you've seen the trend, portlanders all love portland but none of us are able to find work there. it could be fun and adventurous and you know i totally support the cause, but it's a hard place for a job.

    unless you want to work in an old folks home. or at the dairy queen.

    Megs just magically got a job with the city (not sure if it's actually portland) or county. potential connection? starting point? idk

    ReplyDelete